Thursday, January 1, 2009

Plastic Box Purse with Embellishments. 1950s. Maker: Theresa Bag Co., Lyndhurst, NJ. Small, rectangular, scalloped-sided, hard plastic purse featuring a milky pearlized lower portion, pearlized oblong handles and a clear top. The top has been embellished with pristine lacquered shells, faux pearls and leaf appliqués. I’ve seen more than a few Theresa handbags over the years, but this is a rare one in that it is embellished on top. It’s possible that the toppings were added later by one of the bag’s owners, but I don’t think so. Some people call these purses Lucite or Bakelite, which are trademarked names for thermoplastic acrylic resin, but I prefer to refer to them as plain ol’ plastic. Not that there’s anything plain about this adorable bag.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Love Those Slots ! said...

I'm jealous. I love these purses

VintagePurseGal said...

Hi Brigitte! I love them, too. Unlike my kids, they don't talk back!