Sunday, July 29, 2007

Wicker Purse with Ocean-Motif Window. 1960s. Maker: Unknown. White painted wicker handbag with pearlized plastic handle and closure, and goldtone hardware. On the front is a “window,” behind which you can see multicolored shells, faux pearls, plastic coral and (also plastic) seahorses, all glued onto a piece of lace, covered with thick plastic, and accented by glued-on gold rickrack. These purses are very typical of those that came out of Florida in the ‘60s, making use of the natural materials that were easily available. I mean the shells. Not the plastic seahorses.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

4 comments:

jungle dream pagoda said...

I have recently been browsing these adorable wicker sea-laden bags in e-bay-ville. I haven't bid on anything yet,I feel convinced one will turn up at an estaesale or something! Yours is a fine example.

VintagePurseGal said...

I have no doubt that you'll find one. There are a lot of people who don't have our appreciation... or closet space!

Holly Hall said...

I have a thing for old seashell souvenirs in addition to my thing for vintage purses. Combine the two and I'm in heaven!

VintagePurseGal said...

I'm putting up another one today! It's WILD!