Saturday, June 9, 2007

Carousel Horse Purse. This is another in my collection of wild and spangly handbags made circa 1968 by someone who purchased a kit produced by General Crafts Corporation. I don’t use her too often because, even though I’ve seen a few hither and thither, the carousel horse is one of the rarer designs. However, several years ago, I did take her to a production of “Carousel” at a nearby university. My daughter, at that time in middle school, was playing one of Enoch and Carrie’s children. The kid was brilliant. And, of course, the purse was a big hit with theatre-goers.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

4 comments:

Holly Hall said...

I have one of these in a butterfly design, but I carry it often. She loses more and more stones as time goes by, but I love it! Thanks for sharing your great collection.

VintagePurseGal said...

Hey! Thanks for posting a comment! I have a butterfly, too. I love how you refer to your bag as a "she!" YES!

Unknown said...

I have one of these purses in the box and "unmade" would this be worth selling or should I just keep it for myself?

VintagePurseGal said...

Hi Katie! If you aren't going to make it, you might want to look on eBay and see how well kit purses are selling. Is yours the carousel horse? It's one of the rarer designs and may do well, although eBay has been so unpredictable lately, I'm not sure.

Ach. I just re-read that and it's a terrible answer. How about this: If you are in love with it (or really, really like it), you should keep it. If you don't mind letting it go and eBay's not an option for you, you can try a local antique store and see if they will buy it from you or sell it on consignment.