Saturday, June 23, 2007

Needlepoint Handbag. Maker: Kurt Chambré. 1960s. Evening bag covered entirely in needlepoint; black background with flowers and leaves on both sides. Heavy gold damascene-style enclosure with goldtone chain. Black “feet” on the bottom. What’s most fascinating about this is that I inherited it from my grandma and I kept the contents intact! Here they are: Black satin change purse with 46 cents; three Riopan antacids, still wrapped in plastic; one goldtone ballpoint pen with George of California, Inc.—Blouses & Ladies Sportswear logo. I Googled the address and phone number. The phone number is no longer and the address shows up on the map, but there’s no business name. It’s near the L.A. Mart. A lot can happen in 40 years.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2 comments:

wardchambre said...

Hi I am Kurt Chambre's daughter. We had a handbag repair and custom made business in Los Angeles. The address was 8406 W. 3rd st. Los Angeles 90047. He sold the business in the 1980's. It is now Jacob's Leather Goods. There is a sign in the window that says Formality Kurt Chambre Handbags

VintagePurseGal said...

Hi Karen! Thanks so much for posting. I love your dad's purses! I connected with you on Pinterest and let you know that I now have four of them. He's become one of my favorite designers!