Thursday, June 7, 2007

Fox and Grapes Handbag. 1960s. Maker: Midas of Miami. Gorgeous red velvet on white wicker basket-style purse, featuring an adorable figural rendering of Aesop’s famous story “The Fox and the Grapes.” The fox is made of white felt with blue rhinestone eyes. The grapes are three-dimensional, possibly milk glass. Gold rickrack and goldtone metal leaves complete the design. Aesop’s tale is about how the fox can’t reach grapes hanging up high, so the fox says they’re probably sour anyway. This story led to the popular expression “sour grapes.” Which means it’s easy to despise what you can’t get. There’s much I can say here about coveting the unattainable, but, honestly, I don’t despise what I can’t have. I’ll just wait until I become a bazillionaire and buy all the purses I want. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: