Sunday, June 24, 2007

White Wicker Monkey Purse. Maker unknown. 1950s. Highly unusual wicker figural in monkey form, with brown bead eyes and red-painted eyelids. Latches at the back of the neck via white elastic connected to a large button-type disc, but the elastic is worn. Handle is a wicker ring around its neck that connects to a larger ring for carrying. I’ve seen other wicker monkeys and this one is different in that it’s larger than most. There were known makers of wicker bags, including Midas of Miami, but this has no tag, so I don't know its origins. A dealer once told me that wicker monkey purses were sold at Adventureland in Disneyland in the ‘50s, but I wasn’t around at the time. I wasn’t. Really. I was but a mere psychedelic effervescence in dear ol’ dad’s eye.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3 comments:

Monica said...

This one is GREAT! a white wicker monkey!

Unknown said...

If you would like to sell this, I would be very interested :)

VintagePurseGal said...

Hey there! I probably should sell off some purses, especially now that baby needs a new pair of shoes--literally; my grandson is quickly outgrowing his size one's! But... I'm not quite ready. I'll definitely bookmark your page and let you know when I decide (agonizingly) to part with some of my collection.